Monday, April 27, 2009

The Marist Charism

Happy Monday! I’m sure Fr. John and Linda are glad that the Fundraiser is over. It’s a lot of work, but mostly for Linda. Thanks, Linda, for your care and devotion.


Also thanks to Chris McJimsey (our behind the scenes man – very Marist). Of course, thanks to all you students for your participation. I prayed for you all.

The next few days we’ll be preparing for our visit to Lyons and Notre Dame de Fourviere, which is for Marists one of the three significant foundation experiences. Today we spent time sharing about the spirit of the Society of Mary. The words I would attach to this spirit are:

  • simple – quiet – gentle strength – open – feminine – mercy

These qualities, which were borne out of Colin’s time (as expressed, I believe, in ‘hidden and unknown’), are what the modern world needs as well. The ostentatious-ness (I know it's not really a word, but...) of our world needs a dose of true simplicity and humility.

Unfortunately, I probably don’t offer this spirit to you guys at Newman in a deliberate fashion. Perhaps I’m too cautious and feel that unless you ask for our Marist spirit I shouldn’t push it on you. But if I truly believe that this charism, which is so clearly expressed in Mary’s life, was given by God to Colin and the Society of Mary, how can I (we) not give this gift deliberately to those I minister to and with. This is something for me to ponder before I return to SLO Newman.

I’ll leave you with a picture (not great quality, but....) of our Solemn Vespers on Sunday evening. At least, this is what our director called it. The others Marists said it was a 'spirits' filled vespers! Please note guys that I’m not in the picture – I wasn’t there.

No comments:

Post a Comment