Monday, May 11, 2009

Colin A Man of Patience and Determined Discipline




(The gang overlooking Cerdon Valley where Fr. Colin had his first assignment as a priest and where he spent many, many hours writing our Rule.)


The next several days are 'basically' silent days – dedicated to prayer and reflection over what we’ve experienced and seen.

My thought today was mostly about patience and discipline. These are gifts you Newman folks know I need more of. It took twenty years from the pledge of Fourviere (23 July 1816) to the juridical birth the Society of Mary (29 April 1836). During that time Fr. Colin patiently and with determined disciplined worked towards getting approval for the Society of Mary.

Today I feel more than grateful for his patience and determination. The Society of Mary has been officially my home since 1981 (but in actuality since 1971 when I entered Marist Prep the minor seminary in Pennsylvania). It’s where my confreres are. It’s where I’ve ministered and devoted more than half of my 51 years of life.

Twenty years! Who has that kind of patience anymore? Who has that kind of discipline anymore?

Clearly, Jean Claude Colin mustered this patience and discipline for twenty years because he knew this is what the Blessed Mother wanted. She wanted a Society that would be her supportive presence to the Church – a supportive presence that was simple, unobtrusive, always saying 'Yes' to God's grace, and full of zeal for doing whatever God’s wants.


(Another view of Cerdon. The Parish Church is the building in the upper part of picture with the two windows in the tower.
If you look closely you can see Mary on the top of the hill.
)


I’m glad I was called to this Society. It has brought me a great deal of joy and has given meaning to my life in all it's ups and downs. Many of you SLO Newman folks have known F.r John and I for more than a couple of years -- you have some implicit sense of who the Marists. It's in your blood. I’m wondering if any of you are feeling called to join Fr. Colin’s Society. It’s a question worth pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment