Friday, May 8, 2009

Food For Thought

WARNING: Today's blog is bit deeper and contains some soul searching questions for me.

Today (Friday) and tomorrow (we even have to work on Saturday!) we are hearing from Alois Grelier, SM. Alois is sharing with us his insights into our foundations and especially about his views on Fr. Colin our founder. He's given me lots of food for thought.

For example, I wonder, if I've shared enough with you students at Newman about this man who grew up in a tiny village, was rather shy, and even a bit traumatized from the French Revolution, and how God transformed him into a Founder with the courage to approach Bishops, Papal Nuncios, and finally the Pope himself trying to get the Society of Mary approved as the Blessed Mother wanted. Probably not! I'm discovering in a new way a man of great courage and determination, a holy man who was determined to do what the Blessed Mother asked him to do
.


(Fr. Colin's Tomb here in the Chapel of La Neyliere. A special place of mine to meditate in the morning before breakfast.)


Alois has also put forth a challenge about some of the spiritual practices that Fr. Colin expected of the members of this congregation to keep us united and to remind us that our life in community is a primary mission of the Society of Mary. Many of these spiritual practices have been lost over time (at least to me), and need to be retreived. For example, he spoke specifically about a Midday Prayer Fr. Colin saw as part of our life as members of Mary's family. It was totally new to me. It's something I need to think about. He also spoke about Fr. Colin's desire that we mark the morning, the midday, and the evening with the Salve Regina as a reminder that we are about creating in our lives and mission the House of Mary.


(Fr. Colin erected this statue of Mary in the courtyard of Belley College in 1833 as a reminder that this ministry was placed in Mary's hands. The ceremony installing it impressed the faculty and student body.)



Alois also reminded us that Liturgy shapes our identity. So the question is: What liturgical practices do I do or does my community do that specifically speaks about our Marist Heritage. I was grateful for today's topics. They made me think deeper and wonder whether I am being the Marist I am called to be.

I'm also well aware that you all are either in, near, of just coming out of mid-terms. You've been in my prayers for a successful quarter. Our Blessed Mother is interceeding for your success as well. By the way, Fr. Joel wanted a picture of all of you. So...............

No comments:

Post a Comment