Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Luxury

Luxury was the thought that came to mind as I walking quietly and saying the rosary this afternoon. I am well aware of the luxury of this time that has been given to me by God, the community and by Fr. John. Who else besides religious can take 6 weeks in a gorgeous setting, sharing with ‘family’ members from all over the world, visiting sites family sites (Marist Sites)? Not many! Most are just trying to get by, to make ends meet, to find work, to solve family problems, to find a safe place to sleep tonight, etc.



(You don't see too many of these anymore, but this is a confessional in St. Jerome's Church in the Bugey Mountains. Fr. Colin heard many a
confession in this confessional during the three to four week mission.)




So, given the situation, I want to use this time responsibly and have a grateful heart for these weeks. I’ve used the time to pray for you (students at the Newman Center), my community members who are suffering, my family, my friends, and for my vocation which is upper most in my mind as I walk this Marist pilgrimage.

I’ve used this time to think about Colin and his herculean efforts to get the Society started. We honored him tonight by individually palcing flowers on his tomb in the Chapel. I’ve also used the time to think about St. Marcellin and his desire to teach young people about Christ – a ministry close to my heart. I’ve used the time to remember St. Peter Chanel’s seeming failure in mission, AND how God turned that seeming failure into something great (the conversion of the Island of Futuna) – like the Cross of Christ.


(Stain glass window of St. Peter Chanel's martyrdom
in the Chapel at the Seminary of Belley.)



In these next few days of prayer in La Neyliere (before we head to Rome) I will remember in a special way those who will be Confirmed at the Newman Mass on Sunday (17 May 2009). I will pray that the Spirit will strengthen you for the mission of living the Gospel everyday. Your desire to re-commit yourselves to Christ and the Church (hopefully under the banner of Mary) is an inspiration to us all. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment