Saturday, May 23, 2009

Linking Past to Future


(Fr. Craig speaking Fr. Guiliano after the morning conference.)

Fr Craig Larkin, SM (Vicar General) spent some time with us this morning trying to help us link the past to the future. This renewal is supposed to be more than a simple exercise in historical study of our Marist foundations. It should have some affect in my life. Our morning of recollection gave us a chance to think about how to link the past to when we each get back to our communities. In other words, am I being useful to the Society of Mary, was the question for reflection.

The question was a bit unnerving to think about and answer. It goes deeper than: Have I been doing good ministry for the Church? It reaches the core of my identity as a Marist. In other words, I was asked if I have advanced the work of Mary in our world?

One fleeting thought I had was -- this is not a question for me to answer. It's a question my brothers in the Society of Mary have to answer for me. I'll continue to ponder the question. But I'm grateful that it was put to me so directly. I'm sure it will stay with me.


(Our period of recollection ended with
Mass in the General House Chapel.)

Late this afternoon, a couple of us will do the tourist thing and spend some time wandering around the piazzas of Rome. Hopefully, the heat won't melt us. And since Fr. Ron will be with us we'll eventually end up looking for a supper of light Roman pizza (and probably a glass or two of vino rossa).



(Dinner at the General House -- after the morning of recollection.)

No comments:

Post a Comment