Friday, May 1, 2009

St. Marcellin Champagnat

Tomorrow we head out on pilgrimage to the places of St. Marcellin Champagnat. He was one of the original signers of the pledge in Fourviere (the commitment to start the Society of Mary -- July 23, 1816). He was also the one who felt strongly that the group needed brothers to teach young people the faith. He was a very charismatic figure and soon after ordination began to attract candidates to the Little Brothers of Mary in the small village of LaValla. The Marist Brothers today have schools all over the world.

Marcellin was born on 20 May 1789 in Rosey a little hamlet near Marhles. He was a contemporary of Fr. Colin and they met in seminary of St. Irenee. Both of these men had a strong sense of what the Blessed Mother wanted of them and they did it. Of course, this raises the question as to whether you and I are aware of God's call in our own lives. We need to keep reminding ourselves that life is not so much about what we want, but what God wants of us. For me -- I know that means remaining faithful to my commitment as a Marist priest. It means living my life according to our Rule -- prayerfully, lovingly, and always trying to 'think, to feel, to judge and to act as Mary in all things.'


(A Sculpture of Fr. Jean Claude Colin outside the bulding I'm staying in -- it looks old. So I guess it is.)



I'll be praying for those of you who will be on retreat at Santa Margarita Lake this weekend. I know the St. Joseph House members have been working hard on the retreat for some time. Enjoy it! I wish I could be there with you (but y'all know I'll enjoy not sleeping outside on the ground!!!!!!).

I'll close with a picture of me -- eating lunch in Fourviere. Notice it's not salad. While the food is excellent as one might expect for French cuisine, I miss my salads for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. It's going to rain on the retreat! Father Kevin, save us!?! Your food looks good. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a retreat? This is a sabbatical? Sounds more like a "laid-back" vacation to me. I admit, I do miss seeing a determined face jogging down Foothill on my way to work...

    God Bless,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete