Saturday, May 9, 2009

Saturday at La Neyliere

Fr. Grelier spent time with us this morning trying to find a common thread through our Marist Spirit and heritage -- hidden and unknown, Mary's support of the Church at the beginning, Mary's support of the Church at the end of time, the fact that we do all kinds of ministry, our commitment to the local Church, our commitment to the missions, being instruments of divine mercy, etc. These pieces all seem so diverse and so disconnected. What is the common thread of our spirit?

(Statue of Mary in St. Marcellin Champagnat Chapel of Marhles -- it reads [I think], "all to Jesus through Mary.")


I may not share this correctly (so if you're reading this Alois -- don't hold me to it), but if I understood him it seems the common thread is that we Marists (like Mary) make ourselves available to God's grace for whatever he calls us to. We are his instruments, as Mary was. We try to live humbly, very aware of our weaknesses, and our unworthiness, but OPEN to God's call, and knowing that God can do great things through us. We do this in the Spirit of Mary moving into the background so that God's grace can take center stage.

Well that was a feeble attempt to sum up what I heard today and will continue to pray with. But it energized me again, as I was energized when I took my vows as a Marist. I want to be like Mary -- open, receptive, full of zeal, an instrument of God's grace.

It was also a running day. As I ran in this beautiful pastoral setting, I was reminded of those mornings at Cal Poly when the scent from the Dairy unit wafts down to Newman. The scent was strong here today as well. I thought of Jared milking cows!

(This is the type of landscape I enjoy while running aroundLa Neyliere.
WOW! Lots of green because there's lots of rain.)



The other good news was Frs. Bruce, Ron, and Joel walked into town and the store was finally open. So, at Solemn vespers tomorrow evening (Sunday) I'll be able to have and share Vodka & Tonics with Marists who never even heard of this mixture of the gods.





(But be assured, we're praying as well.
No, Rocky, this picture was not staged!)






I also checked out the pictures of the camping retreat on the website. Friday night did not look FUN. I'm glad I wasn't there to deal with the rain. I'm sure I would have gone home to sleep. It's why God invented beds.

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, it's been great reading your past two posts. I can tell there is a different tone to how you are speaking of your call to Marist life. You beautifully said:

    "It seems the common thread is that we Marists (like Mary) make ourselves available to God's grace for whatever he calls us to. We are his instruments, as Mary was. We try to live humbly, very aware of our weaknesses, and our unworthiness, but OPEN to God's call, and knowing that God can do great things through us. We do this in the Spirit of Mary moving into the background so that God's grace can take center stage."

    This is it! This is why I would be Marist. This is tangible, because it's very real and very specific on how God is calling each of us to move, but that we are open like Mary. While "hidden and unknown" may be an explanation of the mystery, the way you speak so accurately about the flow of Grace into our lives is contagious and is what all people need to hear.

    Thanks again for you all your thoughts, Kevin. They're bringing me inspiration and areas of reflection throughout your journey.

    ReplyDelete